Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Savoury Roasted Eggplant May 6, 2015

Welcome, today I am linking with-

Woman 2 Woman Ministries hosted by Shari

The Art of Homemaking Mondays hosted by Jes

Women With Intention hosted by Jenny

Mondays @ Soul Survival hosted by Donna

I am sharing my favorite side dish I make when I am roasting chicken or lamb- eggplant.  I also
 roast sweet potatoes or  cut, cleaned squash halves, and white potatoes at the same time.   

Recipe- Roasted Eggplant Side Dish
2 large eggplants 
or 6 long Asian eggplants
Slice, put in 2 large baking dishes
Top with-
1/2 chopped onion or 2 shallots, optional
6 oz / 170 gm butter or coconut oil or olive oil
Roast at temperature of meat, from 325-400ºF  / 163-204ºC
Flip when bottom of eggplant pieces is getting brown, then several more times to brown evenly
Remove when browned to taste
Sprinkle on Lemon Pepper
Top with Onion/Garlic or Herb Tomato Sauce, optional
Sprinkle with Parmesan Cheese, optional
Or top with Sour cream, optional


With spaghetti sauce and Parmesan cheese-

Plain with sour cream-

This dish is very savoury, I sprinkle the eggplant on vegetable dishes, rice, or rice noodles for flavor.  Or serve plain with Sour Cream.   A vegetarian can use roasted eggplant as a substitute for meat, to give dishes a meaty taste.

A sweet savour is mentioned for the first time in Genesis 8:20-21, when Noah offered one of every clean animal and bird on an altar to the LORD, Yahweh, and as the LORD smelled the sweet savour, or fragrance, He said in His heart, "I will not again curse the ground any more for man's sake; for the imagination of man's heart is evil from his youth; neither will I again smite any more every thing living, as I have done."

Jesus says we should be like the savour of salt to the unbeliever, through the knowledge we have of Him.   We should spice up the other person's life and give them a thirst for the things of God.  We do this when we have the fruits of the Holy Spirit manifesting in our lives, Galatians 5:22-25 NKJ-


But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.  And they that are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts.  If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.


As other people observe us in the circumstances and pressures of life, they should experience these strengths in our lives that would make them desire to also have them to cope with the stresses and hardships of life. 

I've had experiences with people who viewed me with some prejudice and persecuted me, sometimes rather vigorously.  Because I always reacted with love and patience, over several years I actually experienced a reversal of their attitudes, indeed even love and affection.  A verse that helps me when people are difficult is Proverbs 16:7- 

When a man's ways please the LORD, he maketh even his enemies to be at peace with him.

I want my life to make a sweet savour for my Heavenly Father, so someday I will hear, "Well done, good and faithful servant.  I can't think of a better goal to strive for.    -Hannah

©Transforming Path, all rights reserved.  I would love to hear your thoughts and comments on my blog, and will enjoy returning your visit and commenting on your blog.










8 comments:

  1. Hannah, I love the recipe. It looks utterly mouthwatering! I couldn't agree more on those who dish out criticism. I've always tried to live by Proverbs 15:1 "A gentle answer turns away wrath". I'm sure you have found this to be true too. Thankyou for your kind comments on my blog. Mimi xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Mimi, it was fun to see another eggplant recipe. It's not the most popular of vegetables. But it does have a lot of health benefits.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Hannah! What a beautiful, thought provoking post! You shared such true thoughts on these scriptures - I really enjoyed my visit!

    Roasted eggant sounds very good and you served it in great ways! I grew my own eggplant for the first time this year and oh! How exciting it was to pluck a fresh brinjal and cut it up for dinner...

    And thank you so much for your lovely visit to my blog - I always love to hear from new readers:). My grandmother certainly does have a strong character...she recently got remarried and having someone to share it with is very special for her and also helps her to not feel lonely!

    Have a wonderfully blessed day!
    Kelly-Anne

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for visiting, Kelly-Anne, I hope you enjoy your eggplant. I would like to grow it but it requires more heat than is available here, perhaps that will change. So I grow it in pots since the black plastic heats up in the sun, and don't get very many eggplants per plant. I'm glad your granny has a husband to keep her company, her house though darling looks like it could be a lonely place. I suppose it could be exciting watching the meerkats. And Baboons.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful recipe with wonderful reminders as well! Thank you for sharing this week on the Art of Home-Making Mondays! :) We love eggplant and will have to give this a go once we harvest!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Jes. I didn't like eggplant when I was a child, I think it must have been cooked in water, but I love the roasted taste. Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks delicious! Thanks for linking up at Women With Intention Wednesdays! I look forward to what you'll link up this week! Pinned!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for visiting, Jenny, and thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete